Government of India launched SURAKSHITH MATRITVA AASHWASAN (SUMAN) programme to achieve zero preventable maternal and newborn deaths. The programme is aimed at assured, dignified, respectful and quality healthcare at no cost and zero tolerance for denial of services for every woman and newborn visiting the public health facility in order to end all preventable maternal and newborn deaths and morbidities and provide a positive birthing experience. The objectives of the programme are:
- Provide high quality medical and emergency services and referrals.
- Create a responsive health care system.
- Use institutional and other community-based platforms like NGOs, SHGs, PRIs and elected representatives from community etc. To help spread awareness and mobilize community and facilitate 100% reporting and review of Maternal Deaths.
- Develop and establish a system of continuous client feedback and redressal of grievances for maternity services Create awareness, build capacities and motivation of all service providers.
- Provide an interdepartmental platform for convergent action plans Create a steering committee for effective governance including formulating strategies, supervision and review of the program for corrective actions.
- Beneficiaries of the scheme are all pregnant women, all mothers up to 6 months post delivery, sick new born.
- The Director of Health and Family Welfare, A.P., Vijayawada has requested the Government to constitute State Level, District Level and Divisional Level Committees in the State of Andhra Pradesh for effective implementation of the Surakshith Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN) programme in the State.
The Government, after careful examination of the matter, hereby constitute the State Level, District Level and Divisional Level Committees with following members to ensure effective implementation of the Surakshith Matritva Aashwasan (SUMAN):
SURAKSHITH MATRITVA AASHWASAN State Level Committee:
- The Chief Secretary to Government – Chairman
- The Principal Secretary to Government, HM&FW Department – member
- The Principal Secretary to Government, WC&DW Department – member
- The Mission Director , NHM, AP – Member Convenor
- The Director of Public Health & Family Welfare,- member
- The Commissioner of APVVP, – member
- The Director of Medical Education – member
SURAKSHITH MATRITVA AASHWASAN District Level Committee:
- The District Collector- Chairman
- The Superintendent , Teaching Hospital – member
- The District Coordinator of Hospital Services – member
- The PD, ICDS – member
- The District Medical & Health Officer – Member Convenor
SURAKSHITH MATRITVA AASHWASAN Division Level Committee:
- The Deputy District Medical & Health Officer-Chairman & Convenor
- The Superintendents , CHC/AH/DH – member
- The Medical Officers , PHCs – member
The Director of Health and Family Welfare, A.P., Vijayawada shall take further necessary action in the matter.