Consequent on reorganization of Andhra Pradesh and as per the recommendations of the Sectoral committee on Training Institutions and centers under “schedule X e” and as per the instructions of the Government vide Memos, 5th & 6th read above the Mission Director, MEPMA has submitted proposals vide reference for establishment of a new society for the State of Telangana duly retaining the existing society for the State of Andhra Pradesh with the approval of Governing Body as was done in respect of A.P.
In her proposal the Mission Director also stated that a new Society was registered under A.P. Societies Registration Act, 2001 for the State of Telangana with registration number 304 of 2014 and also requested for orders on bifurcation of sanctioned posts (in the ratio of 58:42), assets (in the ratio of 58:42), files, balance funds and liabilities (in the ratio of 58.32 : 41.68) and to apportion available Head Office space (in the ratio of 58:42) between the two States.
After careful examination of the proposals of the Mission Director, MEPMA vide ref 11th read above, the Government has decided for bifurcation of the sanctioned posts (in the ratio of 58:42) as shown in the annexure, assets (in the ratio of 58:42), files, balance funds and liabilities (in the ratio of 58.32 : 41.68) and to apportion available Head Office space (in the ration of 58:42) between both the successor States of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana as proposed vide references and also for establishment of separate
Society for Telangana State as was done in respect of Andhra Pradesh vide to achieve the similar objectives duly retaining the existing Society for the State of Andhra Pradesh. The strategy, aims and objectives and composition of the new society are as follows. a. The Strategy broadly includes the following elements
• Building organizations of the poor as an essential prerequisite for poverty alleviation. Through these organizations, the poor can save and invest efficiently. • Empowerment of the poor as the means to poverty eradication. Through empowerment, the poor can also assert the right to resources intended for them and enhance their dignity and self-respect.
• The need for sensitive support mechanism to catalyze the process of Social mobilization.
• Providing required financial inputs through Interest free Bank linkages, which will promote income generation and livelihood promotion to all family members.
• Participatory monitoring and evaluation is built into the process so that self-corrective action can take place as the process evolves.
b. The objectives of MEPMA
• Develop a strategy for elimination of poverty in urban areas
• Profiling the poor in urban areas using participatory methodologies
• Organize them into Self Help Groups (SHGs)
• Promote and nurture federations of Self Help Groups.
• Organize continuous capacity building programme for staff and Self Help Groups
• Facilitate the groups to access bank linkages.
• Take up skill development programme for self employment and wage employment
• Facilitate pro-poor budgeting in Urban Local Bodies (ULBs)
• Address vulnerabilities like disability / old age / adolescent girls / child labour etc.
• Provide improved access to quality civic services to the poor including housing, health and education to children
• Take up any program that empowers the poor and/or addresses the various issues related to Poverty Elimination and Human Development
• Implement any programme formulated by Government of India or Government of AP for community development, Institutional Building and Capacity enhancement.
• Implement special schemes related to street vendors, domestic workers, shelters to homeless and Girl Child Protection Scheme.
• Access funds from Central & State Government, Financial Institutions and other Agencies.
- The structure of Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) Society is as follows:
Governing Body: The Governing Body of Mission for Elimination of Poverty in Municipal Areas (MEPMA) will provide overall guidance in the formulation of the State strategy to eliminate urban poverty and oversee its implementation across the State with the following composition:
Terms of Reference: The Executive Committee shall meet at least once in three months to facilitate/ coordinate / Implement and review the following tasks:
• Formulation of Urban Poverty Alleviation Strategy
– Organization of the Poor, Strengthening CBOs / Livelihoods /Social development / vulnerability / Social Security / Housing/ Infrastructure
• Developing Partnerships
• Capacity building
• Resource mobilization
• Monitoring & Evaluation
• Guidance and Support to the District Units / ULBs
• Conceptualizing Programme
– Periodic meetings
– Brain storming
– Linkages with private sector – Functioning/ corporate/ New economy sector
• Community Self survey / Mapping livelihoods / Survey of local economy
(ii) District level units of MEPMA
MEPMA shall set up the District Level Project Management Units (DPMUs) with District Collector as Chairman of the unit. Its functional Head will be Project Director (PD) who will be essentially drawn from Government Departments on deputation or suitable persons from Municipal Administration and Urban // 4 //
Development Department. The rank of the Project Director (PD) would be not less than the cadre of Deputy Director of Government Departments if taken on deputation. The District level committee shall be as follows:
- District Collector Chairman
- Joint Collector Vice-Chairman
- Project Director (IKP-Urban) Member Convener
- Vice-Chairman, UDA or his representative Member
- Executive Director S.C. Corporation Member
- D.S.W.O. (BC Welfare / ST Welfare / District Manager, TRICOR) Member
- D.S.W.O. (Manager APBC Welfare Corporation) Member
- D.D. (Social Welfare) Member
- Asst. Director, Physically Handicapped-cum-District Manager, A.P. Physically Challenged Welfare Corporation Member
- Dist. Women & Child Welfare Officer-cum-District Manager, A.P. Women’s Finance Corporation Member
- District Medical and Health Officer Member
- District Education Officer Member
- Lead District Manager (Lead Bank) Member
- General Manager, District Industries Centre Member
- Chief Executive Secretary for Training & Employment Promotion (STEP) Member
- Youth Co-Ordinator, Nehru Yuva Kendra Member
- Commissioners of the Municipalities / Corporation concerned Member
- DM Housing – In charge of Urban Housing Member
- Dy. Commissioner / Asst. Commissioner of Labour Member
- District Employment Officer Member
- Regional Director cum Appellate Commissioner of Municipal Administration Member
- Regional Director of Town and Country Planning Member
- President of TLF of each ULB Member
- Representative of NGOs and Private Corporate Sectors (to be nominated by the Collector) Special Invitees
Terms of Reference: The Committee shall meet once in a month to facilitate/ coordinate / implement and review the following tasks:
• Link between MEPMA (State Unit) and ULBs
• Facilitating common services
• Bank linkages
• District credit plans
• Convergence and coordination,
• Capacity building and training,
• Guide and Support to ULBs – especially smaller ULBs
• Integration of Urban Poverty Alleviation Programme with District Plans
• Monitoring & Evaluation
(iii) Urban Local Body (ULB) Level unit:
The Urban Local Body level unit will be headed by Commissioner, assisted by one Town Project Officer (TPrO) on deputation/ Town Mission Coordinator (TMC) on out-sourcing basis, who will be responsible for implementing the activities set out by MEPMA. The Town Mission Coordinator would be taken on outsourcing basis from open market. The ULB level MEPMA Co-ordination & Monitoring Committee / Circle Level in Mission Cities of Hyderabad, Vijayawada & Vishakhapatnam is constituted with the following composition:
- Municipal Commissioner / Dy. M.C. in circles of Mission Cities Chairman
- Town Project Officer / Town Mission Coordinator Member Convener
- Community Organizers Members
- Municipal Sectoral Staff (Health, Town Planning, Engineering & Revenue) Members
- Representatives of Social Sector Line Departments at the Town
Level a). Education, b). Health, c). Family Welfare, d). Housing, e). Social Welfare, f). Women & Child Development, g).
Industries, h). Revenue Members
- Presidents of Town Level Federations (CDS) Members
- Presidents of Slum Level Federations (NHC) by rotation for every one year (Minimum Three) Members
- Women ward members priority may be given to reserved categories by rotation for every one year (Minimum Two) Members
- Representatives of NGOs (Minimum one), Commercial / Cooperative Banks (minimum of three), Industries, Business and Private Co-operative Sectors (three) Members
Terms of Reference: The Committee shall meet once for every fort night to facilitate/ coordinate / Implement and review the following tasks:
• Community self survey of Slum, Poverty and Livelihood – profiling of all Urban Poor.
• Preparation of Municipal Urban Poverty Alleviation Acton Plan
• Social Mobilization and Strengthening of CBOs
• Capacity Building Programme and trainings
• Development of Livelihood Programme and Bank Linkages
• Skill Development and up-gradation
• Social Development
• Survey of Local Economy
• Program implementation
• Provision of Infrastructure to slums, Housing, Land tenure
• Provision of Civic Services
• Poverty Budgeting
The Mission shall be headed by one Mission Director, which will be the Cadre Post. Additional Mission Director who is of the rank of Additional Director / Joint Director will be taken on deputation from Municipal Administration and Urban Development / other Departments to assist the Mission Director. MEPMA will engage on deputation/contract basis as many number of professional / functional specialists as required to fulfill the objectives set out for MEPMA, with approval of Government.
Commissioner and Director of Municipal Administration, Hyderabad and Mission Director, MEPMA shall take necessary action accordingly